Day in the Life of a Lab Technician Apprentice

15:31


We recently caught up with one of our own apprentices, Sophie Jamieson. 
She's an 18 year old Lab Technician working in The Jenner Institute in partnership with Oxford University.

Here is her Day in the Life! 


What is the first thing you do when you get into work in the morning?
Make myself a cup of coffee

Where do you spend most of you day?
It really depends what department I am in, but usually I spend a lot of my time in the laboratories. 

What keeps you motivated at work?
Payday!

Tea? or Coffee?
Coffee!!

Favourite job? Least favourite job? 
My favourite job to do is organising stock and making inventory lists because it is so therapeutic. My least favourite job is changing the gas cylinders, however it does help build up my muscles. 

What qualification are you currently working towards and when do you hope to achieve it? 
I am currently working towards my level 3 applied science and hopefully should achieve it in the summer of 2016.

How has studying with your college provider helped you at work?
Studying with Abingdon and Witney College has helped me at work by providing me with the knowledge to help me carry out the every day tasks I do at work. 

What has been the biggest surprise of your apprenticeship? 
How welcoming all my colleagues have been and how easily I have managed the transition into full time work. 

Sum up your job in 3 words
A learning Curve 

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I hope to see myself on a scientific career path, hopefully still at the university but with a couple of years of travelling behind me. 

It's been fantastic hearing about Sophie's exciting job role, if you want to know more about The Jenner Institute or Abingdon and Witney College please follow the links below. 



Are you an apprentice working at oxford? We want to hear from you! 

Email Sophie.bebb@sbs.ox.ac.uk for more information about submitting a 

'Day in the Life' post or for any more information.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Author

Created by Sophie Bebb, previous University of Oxford Apprentice at the Said Business School.

Managed by Melissa Duffin, Apprenticeships Coordinator at the University of Oxford