Day in the Life of an Apprentice - Green Templeton College Office Assistant

11:08


















Name: Alison Franklin

Age: 24

Job Role: College Office Assistant

Department: Green Templeton College

How long you have been an apprentice: 10 Months


What is the first thing you do when you get into work in the morning?

Log-on and check my emails. This gives me a good idea of how much work has come in overnight/over the weekend so I can start to prioritise my tasks for the day.

Where do you spend most of your day?
As most of my duties are computer-based I am at my desk pretty much all day, so I like to go for a walk at lunch-time or to the college gym after I finish.


What keeps you motivated at work?
During the morning it is always the thought of what will be on offer in the college dining hall at lunch time!


Tea? or Coffee?
Definitely Tea.

Favourite job? Least favourite job?
My favourite part of my job is seeing an event that I have organised actually take place, particularly the graduation ceremonies where spirits are always high. My least favourite job is probably filing, although it can be quite therapeutic on a Friday afternoon.


What qualification are you working towards and when do you hope to achieve it?
I am working towards an NVQ Level 3 in Business Administration, which I should be able to complete within the next few weeks. (February 2016)

How has studying with your college provider helped you at work?
A representative from my college provider comes to visit me at work which is really convenient and it gives her a realistic view of my day-to-day tasks.

What has been the biggest surprise of your apprenticeship?
This would have to be working in the same office as another Alison Franklin!

Sum up your job in 3 words
Students, Events, Paperwork

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I would like to continue along the career path which my apprenticeship has begun, so ideally I would be working within a college, school or University department in an administrative role.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Author

Created by Sophie Bebb, previous University of Oxford Apprentice at the Said Business School.

Managed by Melissa Duffin, Apprenticeships Coordinator at the University of Oxford